Thursday, May 18, 2006

Sad Day

So how many of you have heard about the Charter of Democracy that was signed by the biggest crooks my generation of Pakistanis has seen a.k.a Nawaz Sharif and Benazir Bhutto. I a sure we all grew up hearing about honesty among thieves, but never had I thought that I would witness this "honesty" being contracted on paper.

My reasons for not believing in democracy for a country like Pakistan at its present status are widely known amongst peers. I dont think that democracy and government can be bed fellows in Pakistan anytime soon, but it would be even worse to see these crooked politicians riding on the claim of "democracy" and winning parlimentary positions. What Musharaf has done over the last seven or so years would all go to waste, it would be undone, there would be new scandals new HONESTY tribunals that would investigate in charges of "corruption" against the outgoing government. There would be a vendetta like situation where tax payers money, whatever little there is, would be used in a gong show of shit flinging over some people who had the nerve to take the responsibility of the country on their shoulders in uncertain times.

I only shudder at the thought of seeing someone as inept as Nawaz Sharif during the whole 9/11 and War on Terror situation or someone like Benazir and her nation pimping husband trying to bring in investment in key areas of the country. What worries me most is the fate of the president Musharaf. We have all had our differences with the guy and as big an advocate I have been of the person, I have been absolutely critical of his handling of womens right especially in situation like those of Mukhtaran Mai or the Dr.Shazia incident that some feel was the final nail in the coffin for Balochis that has resulted in the current state of turmoil in the province. However, he has done so much more for the this country on his own in the last year that he deserves the respect of the entire nation. Unfortunately I have a bad gut feel about his exit from the affairs of our nation, if only politics in Pakistan were less feudal and vengeful then we may have anticipated that mavericks like Musharaf to get the recognition they deserve.

I have said it before and I will say it again, Pakistanis need to wake up and smell he coffee, one by one, town after town, city by city people have to start saying NO to all the nonsense and take things in their own hands to bring about the change that is a must to sustain our encounter with progress that has happened over the last few years.

Lets do it ! ;)

No comments: